Friday 2 August 2013

Drink Local: Toronto (Vegan) Beer

I'm not much of a drinker but when I do drink it's almost always beer. As of lately I have really been enjoying local Toronto beer so I thought I would share my enjoyment with all of you.

With regards to local vegan beer, one of my top picks is Stonewall Light beer. This beer is made in Etobicoke by Cool Beer Brewing Company Incorporated.  It has a fairly mild, refreshing flavour so it definitely is a great choice for those of you who aren't very big beer-drinkers in the first place. Aside from taste and being local, I absolutely love the fact that it is made by a small, local company and that it is widely available in Toronto. Oh, and EVERYTHING they sell is completely ethical and animal-product free. What else could a vegan gal ask for? I should note that I have tried their other products (Cool Lager and Millennium Buzz Hemp Beer) but I don't like either quite as much. There is just something about it's light, subtle lime flavour that I adore. A single 275 ml bottle costs only $1.25 at the LCBO.

Next up is Steam Whistle's Premium Pilsner. It is made by Steam Whistle Pilsner right in Toronto's downtown core (the Historic John St. Roundhouse to be exact). It doesn't have an incredibly interesting flavour but it does have that classic North American taste many of enjoy. If you like domestic beer, this is by far one of the best choices could make. One thing that I love about this beer and company is that they are fairly socially and environmentally conscious and ethical. Really, how many other breweries put green initiatives into place? This is a beer I can proudly stand behind. I don't know the cost of single bottles off hand but a 6 pack of 341 ml glass bottles costs $12.95 at the LCBO (rounding up to about $2.16/bottle). 

Another few favourite local beers of mine are created under the brand name Upper Canada. These beers are brewed by Sleeman Brewing located in Guelph, Ontario. One thing I like about these beers is that they have that deep, rich German/European flavour. Loaded with calories I'm sure but the stomach (heart) wants what it wants. It has been a while since I've purchased this beer but I can definitely say that the Lager and Cream Ale were both memorable. Unfortunately these beers apparently do not have a website of their own so I can't say a whole lot more than that. I cannot remember the actual price right now but if I do remember correctly, it is about average for beer. The last time I purchased any Upper Canada beer was from Magnotta Winery located in Vaughan, however they do sell this at the Beer Store and likely the LCBO as well. 
 
Last but certainly not least is Amsterdam Brewery's Oranje Weisse. Not only does this beer come in a funky orange bottle but it's local to Toronto (John Street as well) and completely vegan. I first tried it last summer after a little adventurous trip to LCBO and I was anything but disappointed. The flavour is very unique and fresh. I really could not do this beer justice so I'll just say that you really should go out, buy a bottle, and see for yourself. My only complaint is that this beer is that it is seasonal to summer which means that my winter cravings will just need to be satisfied in other ways. Sigh... Ingredients: Water, malted barley, unmalted wheat, hops, yeast, orange peel, coriander, anise. One 500 ml bottle costs $4.25 at the LCBO.

*** I am not 100% sure if ALL Amsterdam Brewery products are vegan however I will send them and email and give you all an update soon. ***


I hope this was at least somewhat helpful and informative for all my fellow vegans and Torontonians. Happy long weekend and drinking everyone. xx



No comments:

Post a Comment